Saturday, March 20, 2010

What I Love About the Gambia

This weekend is our halfway point for our time here in the Gambia, and I just happened to also be feeling in a particularly bubbly, positive mood, so I thought I would write a blog regarding what I love about the Gambia.


Today Sarah and I tagged along with Blair to visit her friend, a public health worker named Lamin whom she met through her volunteer work. Lamin lives in a village out past Brikama, where the university is. Lamin turned out to be a great guy, and his family and everyone in the village were very kind to us. The village life is very peaceful compared to life here, closer to the city, and the people have a different way about them. We learned a little Jola, since that is Lamin's tribe/language, met his mother, who makes beautiful baskets from palms, drank ataya (really strong, sugary green tea) with his family, and ate benechin (a traditional Gambian dish), made by his cousin (or sister, not sure, as extended family is so important here it can get hazy). Lamin is a football (soccer) coach, and we went to watch their match as well!


Okay, so besides the experiences I had today, here is what I love about the Gambia:


--The people are truly very friendly, and helpful.

--Things are pretty convenient. Want more Africell minutes? Pick them up while you're waiting in line at the traffic light. Thirsty? Buy bagged water at the bush taxi station for 8 cents.

--I learn something new practically every day.

--Getting to take public transportation. I love public transportation (in America too).

--Getting to people watch and be amazed and surprised constantly.

--The music is definitely growing on me.

--Being forced to try new things that I never expected to like, and realizing I actually do like them. (ie, I now eat oatmeal for breakfast).

--Aerobics classes with Mr. Freedman.

--Ataya.

--Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches made with taapalaapa.

--The craft market.

--The kids are adorable.

--Random people speak French at me (even though most people here speak English--must be I look French or something), and I get to practice a little.

--The smell of the laundry detergent/the women's perfume (there are very few good smells here so these must be appreciated).

--Speaking Wolof with women I meet in the market or walking home.

--Getting to walk a lot of places.


And soon, mangoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment