Saturday, June 12, 2010

This is Good Bye!

So it's clearly been awhile since my last post. About a month ago, I ran into some computer troubles, so it was a bit difficult to blog. I am now back in the States, and just wanted to check back in and reflect a little on my experience. I have been home for about a week now, and find myself missing the Gambia at random moments. So, after just one week with my feet back on American soil, here are my top five favorite things about the Gambia:


1- Bush taxis! Don't tell me you didn't see that one coming.

2- Interacting with the women in our neighborhood, and with the adorable children.

3- Our landlord, Mohammed, and the young sisters who work at the house, Haddy and Sainabou.

4- Seeing or hearing Jammeh's motorcade at random times.

5- People saying sorry to me whenever I do something clumsy.


I can't do just five! I also miss the bright colors and fun music.


And, three things I learned:


1- A new kind of patience. Everything is a little bit unpredictable. Things never happen the easy way, and sometimes the way things do happen seems downright funny. You know in Blood Diamond, TIA (this is Africa)? Well, for someone with a Western background, its a reality, and a good lesson in patience, and in trying to look at a given situation from another point of view.

2- You can't judge individuals based on where they come from or the culture they have been ingrained with.

3- Personal space is nice, but not a necessity. Same goes for hot showers and all kinds of other creature comforts.


This is all I've got so soon on the heels of coming home. This will probably be my last blog post, and I just want to thank everyone for following along with me this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment